Tuesday 22 November 2016

REVIEW: Brutal Game (Flynn and Laurel, Book 2) by Cara McKenna




Blurb

The long-awaited sequel to Willing Victim.

Eight months ago, Laurel walked into an underground boxing gym and found herself mesmerized by a stranger named Flynn—a man who fights hard and loves harder. Since then he’s taken her places where fear and curiosity clash in exquisite pleasure, where trust is the price of ecstasy, and in time their brutal games have become her kink as much as his.

But when real life intrudes and hard decisions demand action, will these two whose bond is rooted in fantasy take shelter in each other’s arms, or discover that lust is no substitute for a lasting commitment?

Review

RATING:




This is the sequel that I didn't realize I wanted!


A bit of a backstory, I've read the first book, Willing Victim, a while back, back in the day when I started venturing into erotic romance past the vanilla land (Oh Elle, how your taste has evolved!). Especially given Flynn's type of "kink" (which I felt odd about, back then, for enjoying it, just sayin), let's just say Flynn and Laurel's story stood out in my head. To say it was outside my comfort zone is putting it mildly. My, how times have changed! Despite my hangups then, I liked the characters, especially Flynn, who wasn't the typical billionaire/rock god/famous athlete I usually read. That book was full of dirty talk and heat, whoosh! So you cant imagine how much of a hardship it was to re-read it, y'know, just to get ready for this. HAH!

We saw Flynn and Laurel get what now feels their tentative HEA from the first book, and here we see what happens once they're in a true relationship.

They both have a decision to make and what happened after is something they also had to learn to deal with. What Flynn and Laurel went through was as real as it can get. The emotions could not be any more realistic. There was a pragmatic feel to their thoughts and words that bears a lot of emotional weight at the same time. I understood why each of them felt the way they felt. I loved how genuine the care they have for each other was.

Laurel may not be the h that would stand out for me necessarily, but where I gave her props is how much she's grown and how much she understood Flynn. Flynn, I love him more now. There's not an ounce of guile in that man and everything he said and did came from the heart. What he offers Laurel shows his true measures, a grounded man with the innate need to take care, in and out of the bed.

I really appreciate how Cara is not wasteful with her words. She gave additional layers to Flynn and Laurel's characters without overplaying the angst behind their emotions. Her writing is crisp, witty and balanced. I'm glad I got to read more about these 2 because they do truly deserve a good HEA.

With Willing Victim alone, it was enough for me to purchase most of Cara's backlist. And now with Brutal Game, it shames me that that I still I haven't gotten to her backlist, ayah!





Thanks for dropping by!

~Leftie



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...