Monday 22 July 2019

REVIEW: Lies by Kylie Scott

It's been a while since I've done a review here just because I want to. I mean not out of commitment for the ARCs I received, but just because. If you follow me on Twitter or you see me on GR, I do still post my reviews there but here, not so much anymore. So for me to be doing a post like this to begin with, it goes to show how I felt about this book.๐Ÿ˜ So on that note...

(Via Goodreads)

Synopsis


Betty Dawsey knows that breaking things off with Thom Lange is for the best. He’s nice, but boring, and their relationship has lost its spark. But steady and predictable Thom, suddenly doesn’t seem so steady and predictable when their condo explodes and she’s kidnapped by a couple of crazies claiming that Thom isn’t who he says he is.

Thom is having a hellish week. Not only is he hunting a double agent, but his fiancรฉ dumped him, and thanks to his undercover life, she’s been kidnapped.

Turns out Thom is Operative Thom and he’s got more than a few secrets to share with Betty if he’s going to keep her alive. With both their lives on the line, their lackluster connection is suddenly replaced by an intense one. But in his line of work, feelings aren’t wanted or desired. Because feelings can be a lethal distraction.


Amazon || Kobo || Nook || iBook


Review


RATING:


I've been obsessed with this book since Kylie Scott revealed its cover. What's not to love! Also, 'didn't hurt that like my DS brought to my attention, the model almost had a Keanu Reeves-esque vibe to him to boot! Then that blurb! I got True Lies vibe to it immediately, and I loved that movie! So needless to say, Kylie Scott couldn't have hooked me in any more if she tried. O but wait! She did, the moment I started reading it! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

If action flicks are your jam, then you will highly enjoy this one. As I got deeper into it, I started getting a Knight and Day feel to it, then slowly, a Red vibe, down to Helene's character, hello, Helen Mirren! No, just me? Just a tad?... It's like Kylie put all these romantic comedy action movies I love in one giant ball then she added her spin to it and gave it a unique flavour on its own. What more could have I asked for, right?!

Anyways, I gobbled this up quite easily. That hasn't happen in a long while. I tried to slow it down, I really did, but it was hard. Seriously, doubt you'll find it hard not to get sucked in just first few pages in. As the story unfolds, it really feels like watching a movie unfold.There was no downtime, it was action packed right til the end.

Betty is one kick-ass heroine. Loved her inner musings and her humor. As you get a glimpse into her insecurities here and there, I love how she bounces back and really embracing herself and recognizing her worth. 

"But I'm the one wearing the oversized diamond ring, thank you very much. Suck it, b!tch!"

And Thom, love him just as much! Loved his humor just as much! For all his stoicism and a$$hole-tendencies, he was really trying to be the man Betty deserves. And considering this is all from Betty's POV, that should say something.

"There's never been anything wrong with you, and I will happily spend the rest of my life proving it to you. Or being tortured by your vicious, gorgeous self if that's what's required. Your choice." 

I thought them being already in a relationship, albeit a rocky one and was really more told to you, it added a different dynamics. They're not quite starting from scratch, yet they are... Regardless, I love their chemistry, how acerbic and blistering it is in a delicious way, with a dash of humor...

"I don't think anyone's undressed me since I was a child."
"I undress you in my mind, if that counts..."

If anything else, whatever took minor points in my head are very subjective. I wish it were longer for starter. Also, maybe to have a chance of getting Thom's POV even if just scattered, or at least see the past as well from his eyes, just to give more depth about how he feels about Betty. If Kylie made me fall in love with Thom as it is, I can just imagine! ๐Ÿ˜

And 2 itty-bitty editing stuff:
~This is not isolated with this book. It's either camaraderie or comradery, but not comraderie... why are so many people falling into this trap?? ๐Ÿ˜
~I learned a bit of Australia/NZ-ism... fossick... how about that! ๐Ÿ˜›

Anyhoot, if you're looking a fun quick easy summer read with a side of sizzle, look no further!! 


๐Ÿ”ซ๐Ÿ’ฃ๐Ÿ”ช ๐Ÿ”ซ๐Ÿ’ฃ๐Ÿ”ช ๐Ÿ”ซ๐Ÿ’ฃ๐Ÿ”ช


Thanks for dropping by!

~Leftie






1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...