Saturday 13 June 2015

REVIEW: Strike by Heather C Leigh


Dax Davies has one job to fulfill in the Davies household. Earn money at the family business. The problem is that the family business was illegal underground fighting.

From a young age, Dax and his brothers are groomed to become money earners in their father's club. Broken bones and bruises are commonplace. Their father pits the brothers against each other to 'toughen them up' for the ring, using his rules to bend his sons to his will. His future is in the cage, not on stage where he dreams of making music.

Kate Campbell loves one thing in life. Well, two. Soccer and Dax Davies. Growing up in the poorest part of London, soccer is her personal escape from reality and from the fact that Dax doesn't seem to know she exists. She figures if she can be good enough at soccer, maybe she can get away from Hackney, and leave the poverty behind.

Kate doesn't plan on ever getting to know Dax as more than a passing acquaintance. In fact, she isn't meant to go with her friend to Dax's father's business, but that one night changes everything. 
***This is book 2 in the Sphere of Irony Series. It can be read as a standalone. This is a spin-off of the Famous Series***

REVIEW

*Contemporary ARC received from author*

I know I will be in the minority with my thoughts and feelings about this book so please take everything here with a grain of salt.

First, I requested this as I really enjoyed Heather’s Ricochet series. Second, I went in this blindly, not even refreshing my memory with the synopsis; therefore, I didn’t know what to expect. Third, I didn’t realize the characters are quite young, even younger than most NA MC’s that I usually enjoy. And fourth, not only were the MCs young, the timeframe is something that I didn’t expect. I’m more used to the story line moving fast forward a bit to a number of years so the MCs then are at least in their mid-twenties or older at the crucial point of the story. Such is not the case here.

Dax and Kate’s history started from when they were in their teens and the story took us thru their ups and downs in a span of 3 or so years with small gaps in between. It took us from Dax’ fighting days to his musician days, and Kate being involved in soccer all that time and pretty much in love with Dax all that time.

The story line was decent. The MC’s were decent. Their story was laid out realistically, showing the (potential) pitfalls of long-distance relationships, of young relationships, and of fame-filled relationships. It’s who/what one can expect from an NA read. It was me who wasn’t able to connect with the MCs so I couldn’t fully buy into their angst. I really wish I can say I loved this one, but sadly no.


Thanks for dropping by!

~Leftie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...