Monday 8 July 2013

Agree to Disagree: Naked by Raine Miller


RATING: ---

Hello, Leftie here, we are introducing a new kind of post that will, without a doubt, you'll see every now and then in this page. We call it a "Agree to Disagree" and this happens, or will happen, when we feel the opposite about a book, strongly enough that we feel it merits a discussion, sorta'...

(via Goodreads)

In this book, we are introduced to Brynne, an American student studying in London and poses as a model on her off time, and Ethan who owns a security company and was asked by Brynne's father to look after Brynne because Brynne's father is some kind of an important person, I think, back in the US and I think something happened with Brynne in the past that if people find out it will cause some damage. Oh, and Ethan bought some nude photo of Brynne, and so start their story...


Leftie: That's me giving the description. That was the extent of how I will describe this book. If you can't sense how I feel by how I described it, then let me just further clarify that, I'm really sorry, but this book did not work for me. I should say that it probably would have worked for me if the whole story was not broken up into novellas the way this story was. It's a short read, just over a 100 pages, and for me, it just worked against the story. I didn't understand the characters' motivation since in my mind, everything felt out of context. Everything felt like it happened in fast-forward mode (FF4 in PVR mode, if I may add) that I didn't have time to buy into the characters' emotions, so in the end, it just earned a lot of eye-rolling from me.

A lot of people women loved this book, so I guess I'm in the minority about how I feel about this book(-let), lemme point that out now. But judging from the other reviews out there, I'm also not the only one who felt that this book(-let) will remind you of other more known books out there in the same genre (*cough-cough*, Fifty Shades by EL James... *cough-cough*, Crossfire Series by Sylvia Day, *cough-cough*). So having said that, there is definitely a high potential to like this book if you're a fan of those other books. Alas, not I...

Rightie: Oh Leftie, Lefite, Leftie...your attention span has always been better than mine. The reason I probably liked this book is because of the fact that everything was fast....zoom zoom! Wham bam! Thank you, ma'm!

Despite the book being only about 100 pages, I think the author did a good-enough job to make me sympathize with the characters. The heroine was likeable enough, despite her being able to fall asleep in a stranger's car....bwahaha!

And Ethan...well, I guess it helped that I had Daniel Craig in my mind the whole time I was reading it, despite the character being described totally different than my dear Daniel. I think Daniel works for any romance hero anyway, right? Oh Daniel....I mean, Ethan! You're crazy for what you did, but I can totally understand because, well, you fell in love....

And yes...I do agree with Leftie that the author might have been too inspired by some other works out there, but that's ok, Raine Miller. Just keep writing about Daniel....I mean, Ethan!

If you have read this book, what did you think?

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...