Monday 22 July 2013

Review: Real by Katy Evans

RATING: 4.5 napkins

A fallen boxer.A woman with a broken dream.A competition…IS HE FOR REAL?He even makes me forget my name. One night was all it took, and I forgot everything and anything except the sexy fighter in the ring who sets my mind ablaze and my body on fire with wanting…Remington Tate is the strongest, most confusing man I’ve ever met in my life.He’s the star of the dangerous underground fighting circuit, and I’m drawn to him as I’ve never been drawn to anything in my life. I forget who I am, what I want, with just one look from him. When he’s near, I need to remind myself that I am strong–but he is stronger. And now it’s my job to keep his body working like a perfect machine, his taut muscles primed and ready to break the bones of his next opponents . . .But the one he’s most threatening to, now, is me.I want him. I want him without fear. Without reservations.If only I knew for sure what it is that he wants from me? (courtesy of katyevans.net) 

(via Goodreads)

For a debut novel, I say this is way better written than most. It's not the best written and I did have some issues with parts of the story but the story-telling did capture me.

There was your typical insta-lust, or I should say insta-insta-lust (yup, that fast), between Remy and Brooke, the hero and heroine, but the relationship didn't happen immediately. As a matter of fact, there was quite a build-up to that relationship which contributed to a lot of angst through out the book. It was getting too much at one point that even I was getting frustrated myself, also considering how it was repeatedly told how much Brooke is pining for Remy (I'm being Rated-G when I say "pining"), and I meant repeatedly. But I suppose all that angst is what made the relationship even sweeter, and hotter, when they finally decided to give their relationship a chance.

There were certain parts of the story where you definitely have to suspend your disbelief. There's the nature of his profession and the lifestyle it apparently affords Remy and his crew. But I'm mainly talking about his medical condition (that's all I'm going to say). I understand Ms. Evans has done some research in this area. Yet somehow, it still felt a little romanticized for me, and I'm sorry to say this, almost irresponsible especially around how he self-manages his condition with the aid of his crew. But I suppose, it could be possible the way he did it so moving on...

Brooke was not necessarily the heroine I usually identify with, especially in certain parts. A couple of the things she did were just too fatuous for my taste.

Now, because I tend to be hero-centric with my romance novels, Ms. Evans definitely did right by me with Remy alone. I think his character was developed well (so was Brook too, I may add, but for some of her actions). For me, he's the right mix of the alpha heroes I tend to favor in these kinds of books. And he has the most swoonalicious lines!! (grins)

Considering my itty-bitty thing with some of the story details and how I feel just ok about Brooke, Remy was definitely a big factor in bringing my rating up that high. For REAL!... hehe...


-Leftie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...