Tuesday 9 December 2014

Review: Reapers MC Series by Joanna Wylde

Motorcycle club or biker romance is a romance sub-genre I've gotten into recently. Firstly, I know nothing of that lifestyle/subculture(?) in real life other than what I see in movies or hear in news. So I really have no strong views nor opinions to offer. Having said that, I do find it fascinating when it's put in a romanticized fictional setting. Whether it's from direct knowledge or extensive research as is the case for Ms. Wylde (if I understand correctly), or not, I take the stories for what they're worth, love stories, that is.

Instead of posting individual reviews for each of the book in the series, I thought I'd put it all together in one review. I figured I have read all the books in the series, so why not. Each book is a standalone as it focuses on different characters but each book does enhance the others. Pardon the length of the post, but here goes...

RATING: 4/5 napkins

(All reviews originally posted on Goodreads)


Via

Marie doesn’t need a complication like Horse. The massive, tattooed, badass biker who shows up at her brother’s house one afternoon doesn’t agree. He wants Marie on his bike and in his bed. Now.
But Marie just left her abusive jerk of an ex-husband and she’s not looking for a new man. Especially one like Horse—she doesn’t know his real name or where he lives, she’s ninety percent certain he’s a criminal and that the “business” he talks with her brother isn’t website design. She needs him out of her life, which would be a snap if he’d just stop giving her mind-blowing orgasms.
Horse is part of the Reapers Motorcycle Club, and when he wants something, he takes it. What he wants is Marie, but she’s not interested in becoming “property of”.
Then her brother steals from the club. Marie can save him by giving Horse what he wants—at home, in public, on his bike… If she’s a very, very good girl, she’ll get lots more of those orgasms only he can offer, and he’ll let her brother live.Maybe.

Ms. Wylde may agree or not, but I see traces of Motorcycle Man (by Kristen Ashley)  in this one but that's only a good thing in my head:) The characters are developed enough. Didn't completely buy the connection b/w the H&h in the beginning nor did I enjoy the texting interaction (fortunately, that part was short) but as the story progressed, the heat is there, for sure. Got a strong enough h and swoon-y enough H. Although I might not have been 100% emotionally connected at all times, but bottom line, I enjoyed the story, I liked the build-up to the events and I loved how bad-ass the h turned out for her man in the end, all adding up to a nice ending. Def looking forward to Reaper's Legacy now.



Via

Reaper's Legacy is a raw and intensely erotic tale in Joanna Wylde's Reapers Motorcycle Club series.
Eight years ago, Sophie gave her heart-and her virginity-to Zach Barrett on a night that couldn't have been less romantic or more embarrassing. Zach's step-brother, a steely-muscled, tattooed biker named Ruger, caught them in the act, getting a peep show of Sophie he's never forgotten.
She may have lost her dignity that fateful night, but Sophie also gained something precious-her son Noah. Unfortunately, Zach's a deadbeat dad, leaving Ruger to be Noah's only male role model. When he discovers Sophie and his nephew living in near poverty, Ruger takes matters into his own hands-with the help of the Reapers Motorcycle Club-to give them a better life.
Living with outlaw bikers wasn't Sophie's plan for her son, but Ruger isn't giving her a choice. He'll be there for Noah, whether she wants him or not. But Sophie does want him, has always wanted him. Now she'll learn that taking a biker to bed can get a girl dirty in every way.


Ok, I definitely liked this better than Reaper's Property. For starters, no awkward texting (not sure why I got so hung up on that itty-bitty thing in the first book but I did:o), so that's 1 plus for this book already.

So why the same rating?

Well, I liked Ruger. He was an a$$ at times but he was hot:p and at least he was honest about his feelings from the beginning and I realized it was just a matter of time for him to process things. I love how he's always there for Sophie and her son.

Now Sophie, she was just ok. She did get on my nerves at times. It's one thing to go back and forth with your feelings but at some point, c'mon, just make up your friggin mind! So the hot and cold feelings did get tedious a bit but not to a point that I disliked her.

It had its funny moments; Sophie and some of her inner musings, Ruger and his sarcasm, Kimber without her filters.
Some parts felt rushed, some parts made me go aww... in the end, a nice satisfying MC read... For sure, I will read the next in the series.  

Via

Liam "Hunter" Blake hates the Reapers MC. Born and raised a Devil's Jack, he knows his duty. He'll defend his club from their oldest enemies-the Reapers-using whatever weapons he can find. But why use force when the Reapers' president has a daughter who's alone and vulnerable? Hunter has wanted her from the minute he saw her, and now he has an excuse to take her.
Em has lived her entire life in the shadow of the Reapers. Her overprotective father, Picnic, is the club's president. The last time she had a boyfriend, Picnic shot him. Now the men in her life are far more interested in keeping her daddy happy than showing her a good time. Then she meets a handsome stranger-a man who isn't afraid to treat her like a real woman. One who isn't afraid of her father. His name is Liam, and he's The One.
Or so she thinks.

So we finally get Em's story, the h born into the MC lifestyle, and Hunter's, the H taken under the wings of a rival MC. There was a reference made about Romeo & Juliet, I suppose this is the MC version. Their story was told in two parts. If you have read the previous one in the series, then you know how the first part unfolded only this time, it's told from Em and Hunter's POV. And the second part is them moving forward from that experience.

This has got to be my fave in the series, so far. And that really surprised me. Why? For starter, Hunter and Em are young characters and young characters tend to be more miss than hit for me. But definitely not these ones. I really like these 2 young uns, can't tell you how much. Something about these 2 just felt real and realistic. 

Em is one tough cookie. She gets it, being born into that lifestyle and all. I loved having a quick glimpse of her as a young teen and hearing her thoughts [SPOILER ALERT: like when she was convinced she was going to marry Ruger, too cute! END OF SPOILER]
. And loved how she looked after Hunter. She is equally as strong a character as Hunter.

Hunter is just delish for words, swoooon!!! LOL He's romantically stunted but whether he understood his feelings or not, I say he was romantic in his own way. He said asinine things yet I couldn't not like him. And loved how he took care of her.

Their chemistry is believable, and off the chart. Their interactions were real, witty, honest and funny. And for what it's worth, their text convos definitely made up for Horse & Marie's (from Reaper's Property), which bugged me for some reason.

If I had a beef, a strand of a meat really not even thick enough to get stuck b/w teeth, that would be the sometimes confusing POV switch and some redundant parts/words, and I wish I'd seen more of the other Reaper H's. But hey, at least, we're getting Picnic's story next, yay!

A day after finishing this, and I still can't get over how much I enjoyed this one... 


Via

As Reapers Motorcycle Club president, Reese “Picnic” Hayes has given his entire life to the club. After losing his wife, he knew he’d never love another woman. And with two daughters to raise and a club to manage, that was just fine with him. These days, Reese keeps his relationships free and easy—he definitely doesn’t want to waste his time on a glorified cleaning lady like London Armstrong.
Too bad he’s completely obsessed with her.
Besides running her own business, London’s got her junkie cousin’s daughter to look after—a more reckless than average eighteen-year-old. Sure she’s attracted to the Reapers’ president, but she’s not stupid. Reese Hayes is a criminal and a thug. But when her young cousin gets caught up with a ruthless drug cartel, Reese might be the only man who can help her. Now London has to make the hardest decision of her life—how far will she go to save her family?

First, I want to say, for what it's worth, that I think this series just got better by the book, and that I'm glad she saved the best, IMO, for last.

So we finally got Picnic's story, the leader of the pack. Both Picnic and London are "mature" characters so for readers like myself, they're more relatable characters (yes, I'm aging myself). Picnic, I think, is as bada$$, alpha and hawt as they come. London is very maternal, funny as heck with her inner thoughts, and a smart "civilian" who made stupid decisions in the name of independence and false sense of her knowledge of how the "darker side" of society operates. 

I did have a slight issue with Picnic, in the beginning [SPOILER ALERT: doing the deed with another woman while London was under the same roof, albeit the relationship has not quite started yet END OF SPOILER]. I had to remind myself that Picnic and the rest in his world does not necessarily walk the "straight and narrow" and as judgmental as that may sound, that was the only way I can reconcile that in my head. Needless to say, this is a matter of personal taste. Oh but the chemistry b/w these 2 feels real and sizzling! 

I loved how the prologue immediately turns things upside down. I liked how I got a glimpse of the other MC's in this series. A new character is introduced whose story will be in Silver Bastard. Definitely looking forward to that one. And I equally liked the epilogue which showed how things went for some of the characters and it opened up so much possibilities... Oh, Joanna, if I haven't said it before, a fan here for sure! 

~Leftie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...