Thursday 21 May 2015

REVIEW: Falling for His Best Friend (Out of Uniform, Book 2) by Katee Robert



Avery Yeung’s biological clock just went off early. Thanks to her family’s medical history, she’s running out of time to get knocked up. And the only guy within donating distance? Her overprotective—and irritatingly hot—best friend. So clearly she needs an anonymous donor…
Anonymous donor? Over Sheriff Drew Flannery’s dead body. While daddyhood will never be in the cards for a man with his past, Drew won’t let Avery shop for a “popsicle pop.” He’ll do what’s right for his best friend by doing his best friend. But only if they do it properly.
But there’s nothing “proper” about it. Between the bed, the kitchen counter, and against his squad car, Avery and Drew are having the hottest sex ever. They can’t get enough of it—or each other. And without knowing it, they’ve crossed the one line that could ruin their friendship forever…



Review

RATING:
*Complimentary ARC received from publisher via Netgalley*

I admit, I'm confused every time I read one of Katee's books. While they end up mostly just right of middle of the road for me, I can't help but keep coming back for more. I suppose while the execution is not always stellar in my mind, there is something in her story lines that always pulls me in, all the time. 

This trope, the childhood friends to lovers, while not new, appears to be a fave flavour among writers recently, along with the stepbrother one, not sure why... Avery and Drew have been friends since childhood.  They've always been there for each other, esp during times of crisis. Drew, being the "good friend" he is, stepped up to the plate and offered to be the sperm donor, which moved their friendship to unknown territory.

Avery was facing issues that no woman should in my ideal world, and for her to take charge of her life the way she did, despite personal, medical and cultural challenges, shows a lot of courage. It is commendable. Drew had a rough upbringing who was forced to grow up really fast. Luckily for both of them, they had each other. And as the story moved along, not only can you see how good a friends they were, but you can also feel their connection. I thought so anyway. It was nice to see a touch of multiculturalism and the interracial aspect with those 2, which really, to me, is more reflective of today's society. 

I did wonder how Katee will move those 2 from childhood BFFs to lovers. To a degree, she made it work. Where it might not have worked successfully in my mind was the indecisions and inner struggles of those 2, especially Drew, which probably could've have been prevented if there were more dialogues between them. Drew with his waffling tired me out a bit. In my mind, I was ready to bop him in his head and the way I saw it, only "the" grand gesture would've saved him/story itself. In the end, I suppose he did sorta do that. Let's just say Avery was more forgiving and understanding of the whole thing,

And hey, this is Entangled Brazen after all, so just like I've come to expect at all times, there is always scorching scenes, just saying... teehee...


Thanks for dropping by!

~Leftie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...