Wednesday 7 September 2016

REVIEW: Furious Rush by SC Stephens




Blurb

Too fast, too furious-and way too hot to handle . . .

Mackenzie Cox has a lot to prove. Daughter of a racing legend, she is eager to show the world that she has inherited her father's talent in the male-dominated sport of professional motorcycle racing. The last thing Kenzie needs is to be antagonized by her rival team's newest rider, Hayden Hayes. Plucked from the world of illegal street racing, Hayden immediately gets under Kenzie's skin. His insinuations that Kenzie is a spoiled princess who was handed her career fuels her desire to win, and much to her surprise, Kenzie soon learns she performs better when she's racing against Hayden.

As Kenzie and Hayden push each other on the track, the electric energy between them off the track shifts into an intense--and strictly forbidden--attraction. The only rule between their two ultra-competitive teams is zero contact. Kenzie always does her best to play by the rules, but when her team slips into a financial crisis, she has no choice but to turn to Hayden for help. The tension simmers during their secret, late-night rendezvous, but Kenzie has too much to lose to give in to her desires. Especially when she begins to doubt that Hayden has completely left his street life behind...

Review

RATING:
---

Hmmm… this is my first SC Stephens read…

Ummm… I think this is going on my deferred-shelf… Hmmm…

Sadly, this is one book that is barely capturing my attention. I’ve started and stopped a few times already, and I seem to be struggling to finish it. I got stuck at 58%... After the most recent decision by the h, I said to myself, ok, that’s it… for now… I think…

Completely my fault, let me be super clear about that. When the generous offer for a copy came my way, I got curious. I’ve never read SC before. Goodreads friends love her Thoughtless series. But as much as I hear so much love for that series, I didn’t, or still don’t, feel inclined to read it, don’t ask me why. But this book came along, so I thought, what the hey!

Now comes the uncomfortable part. I’m having real issues with the characters. Off the bat, the h’s friend rubbed me off the wrong way. Then as the story started opening up, I can barely care for Kenzie and Hayden. I can’t seem to bring myself to see past their immature thoughts and actions. I don’t understand Kenzie’s family’s first world problems or Kenzie’s source of angst. I can’t even find any sympathy for Hayden and his back story.

Consequently, I’ve become less and less engaged with the story to a point where it just started to drag…

I wanted to say it caught me at an off moment. Maybe? I’d like to think I will eventually go back to this when I’m in a more forgiving frame of mind. I even think that this may ultimately surprise me when I do get back to it. Maybe?

I seem to be in the minority so clearly it's just me...


Thanks for dropping by!

~Leftie



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...