Friday 24 April 2015

REVIEW: Instigation (Clandestine Affair, Book 1) by Tessa Teevan

RATING:




*Complimentary ARC received from author*


VIA
Breaking up is hard to do. 
Three years after her life changed forever, Gabriella Latham finally has it all. Killer job [if working for her boyfriend counts]. Killer closet [even if she doesn't technically own any of it]. Killer boyfriend [who refuses to let her leave him, even when she tries]. Unfortunately for her, the last part isn't hyperbole. She just doesn't know it yet.
Adrian Morningstar was a dream come true. No one had ever loved her more, and for the first time, in longer than she could remember, she was no longer alone. He was the Prince Charming to her Cinderella, until suddenly he became the Beast with whom she could not escape.
Until him.
When Rafe Matthews is hired to oversee the guest home construction of one of the most powerful businessmen in the country, he finally has his in. Nothing will get in the way of what he sets out to do. 
Until her.
Watching from the shadows, he's drawn to the beautiful, isolated woman of the house. His curiosity is piqued and he has to have her. She may be taken by the boss, but that's not enough to stop him. Or her.
Nothing is quite as it seems, and this is only the beginning. 
Passions ignite. Tempers flare. Secrets kill. 

REVIEW

I’m a little torn about this one…

I like it quite a bit, really. The premise sounded interesting. Gabriella was with one man until things started to change, then she met another man…

The opening immediately makes you wonder what the heck is going on. Shortly after, you can tell there’s definitely more there than meets the eye. It gets more interesting as Rafe is introduced, making you wonder some more what his angle is.

I enjoyed how everything is being laid out. The mystery is slowly opening up. It’s making me question where everyone fits in. I wonder how those 2 men fit into the puzzle, and why they’re doing the things they’re doing. For sure, I’m hooked in with the suspense and mystery I’ve been given a glimpse of so far.

Where I struggled is Gabriella/Brie. I am not able to fully connect with her somehow. I don’t appreciate what appear to be her co-dependent thoughts. Her past may have contributed to that, and granted, there really are women like her, but unfortunately, I’m not getting how her identity seems to be attached to which ever man is in her life. I wish she can come to those conclusions about herself without a man’s aid. That’s what it felt like to me the whole time. I didn’t agree with most of her decisions/actions. But interestingly enough, if not for her unintelligent actions, she wouldn’t have been in the situation she’s in, and where would have the story gone then?

Adrian and Rafe are 2 interesting fellas. Obviously, one is meant to be the hero. Regardless of who the hero is, given how I like a dark read every now and then, I’m just as curious about the one not meant to be a hero, because I found, when done right, those men are the ones who make you question your boundaries. This then brings me to my next point, that this story line is a great vehicle potentially to be a really dark read. If so, it could go down really spectacularly and be one heck of a mind-screw. Somehow, I don’t think this won’t be that dark. Either way, I’m curious. I have started formulating my own theories. There'll be 2 more books in the series, I wonder if I’m right. And yes, it ends on quite a cliffie but it's a cliffie I actually liked.

As it stands, my reaction is a bit on the tepid side, mostly because of Gabriella/Brie. But like I said, I’m curious, very curious…


Thanks for dropping by!

~Leftie 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...